top of page
Cream Background.jpg

Do I need to have a Hunting license?

Yes. In order to hunt at our location, you will need a valid Texas Hunting License.

Who needs to take Hunter Education?

Every hunter (including out-of-state hunters) born on or after Sept. 2, 1971, must successfully complete hunter education. Minimum age for certification is 9 years and cost is $15.

If you were born on or after September 2, 1971 and you are:

  • under 9 years of age, you must be accompanied*.

  • age 9 through 16, you must successfully complete hunter education, OR you must be accompanied.

  • age 17 and over, you must successfully complete hunter education; OR purchase a “Hunter Education Deferral,” and you must be accompanied.


This course is taught at our ranch by the Foreman, who is a certified Texas Parks & Wildlife instructor of the hunter safety class.

So if you want to take the course as part of our long range shooting shoot it can be added. It’s a great time to get those young Texas hunters qualified to get their hunting license by taking this required Texas Parks & Wildlife Hunter Safety course needed to get a Texas hunting license.

I lost my certification card, how do I get a replacement?

You may now print a copy of your certification

Failure to carry proof of certification or deferral while hunting is a Class C, Parks and Wildlife Code Misdemeanor which is punishable by a fine not less than $25 nor more than $500.

What does "Accompanied" mean?

Accompanied means: By a person who is at least 17, who is licensed to hunt in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before Sept. 2, 1971), and you must be within normal voice control. Proof of certification or deferral is required to be on your person while hunting. Note: Proof of certification is not required to purchase a hunting license.

Do I qualify for a Hunter Education Deferral?

Any person 17 years of age or older who has not completed hunter education may defer completion for up to one year. A deferral may only be obtained once and is only valid until the end of the current license year. You must be accompanied while hunting if you have a deferral. Note: The one-time Hunter Education Deferral is available at license vendors (ACADEMY OR YOUR LOCAL SPORTING GOODS STORE AND MOST WALMARTS) and costs $10. A person who has been convicted or has received deferred adjudication for violation of the mandatory hunter education requirement is prohibited from applying for a deferral.

Can you handle a special event or corporate outings?

Yes, we are more than ready to handle your corporate event or outing including large groups such as Corporate Retreats, Family Reunions, Women’s Quilting/Crafting Retreats, Men’s Retreats and many more.

Is your the ranch high fenced?

Yes, Dead Man’s Pass Ranch includes over 2,200 acres of high fenced prime managed country. It consists of 5 runs of hills and is 3 miles x 2.5 miles, with a differential in elevation of roughly 400 feet.

Does your ranch offer a shooting range to sight my gun?

Yes, our ranch offers a shooting range to sight in your gun.

How much should I tip the Hunting Guide and Cook?

Gratuities for guides and cooks are customary. Please be considerate and reward personnel for a job well done.

We will do everything in our power to make your stay with us a very memorable experience.

It’s not just a hunt; it’s a total package. Normal amounts vary, but here is a general suggestion:

  • Hunt price up to $3,000:       GUIDE: $200 – $350    Per Hunter, COOK: $85 – $125     Per Person

  • Hunt price $3,000 – $5,000: GUIDE: $300 – $500    Per Hunter, COOK: $125 – $175   Per Person

  • Hunt price $5,000 – $9,000: GUIDE: $550 – $800    Per Hunter, COOK: $175 – $250   Per Person

  • Hunt price $9,000 – $13,000: GUIDE:$800 – $1,300 Per Hunter, COOK: $250 – $325  Per Person

All hunting packages are All-Inclusive and the price includes:

  • Meals and snacks

  • Lodging

  • Transportation to and from the hunting area/blind to camp.

  • Cleaning of your animal.

  • Guide

Guests and Hunters are responsible for:

  • Personal Articles of clothing (Ex. Jackets, pants, boots, shirts, gloves, etc.).

  • Personal Toiletries

  • Gun, bow, ammo, and binoculars

  • Alcohol, If wanted.

  • Gratuity for guide and cook

What is a Managed Lands Deer Permit?

Dead Man’s Pass Ranch is under the authority of a Level 3 Managed Lands Deer Permit. The MLDP allows us to have the state’s most flexible seasons and bag limits.

Hunting license is required, but use of your hunting license tag(s) are not required on deer harvested under the authority of this permit; therefore county and statewide bag limits do not apply to individual hunters.

bottom of page